My Experience in a Free School
At first I couldn't believe it! There were no 26 in rows; no bells rang; no one had to go to 27. Although we all lived“in”, 28 made us go to bed at a certain time; there was no“lights out”.
The 29thing was that practically all the students went to class, 30 very few people stayed up late at night. Only the new people stayed up or 31 class. The new ones always went wild 32 , but this never lasted long. The33 took some getting used to. Our teachers treated us like34 ; never did we have to35“stand up”,“sit down”,“speak out”. I don't 36one student who didn't try his best.
The subjects were the same as those in 37 school, but what a difference in the approach(方式)！For example, in botany(植物学)we had 38 classes in the spring or fall, but instead we 39two gardens, a vegetable garden and a flower garden. 40in winter we each studied a few 41 things about what we had grown. In math the students built three different kinds of storerooms - small ones 42 , but usable. They did this instead of having lessons in the classroom. They really had a 43time too, designing everything, drawing the blueprints, 44the angles(角度)and so on. I didn't take 45 . I can't stand it! Besides, I could do the basic things with numbers. That's 46 !
47 I think I am a48 person for having gone to the school. I can read and write as well as anyone else my age, and I can think better. That's probably a real big 49 between the free school and regular school-the amount of 50.
26. A. desks B. lights C. students D. buildings
27. A. home B. bed C. class D. work
28. A. anybody B. nobody C. teachers D. parents
29. A. sad B. last C. good D. strange
30. A. and B. but C. so D. yet
31. A. attended B. took C. missed D. studied
32. A. from then onB. at first C. once more D. just then
33. A. freedom B. habit C. time D. people
34. A. workers B. pupils C. gardeners D. grown-ups
35. A. understand B. study C. play D. say
36. A. hear from B. feel like C. think about D. know of
37. A. night B. regular C. small D. real
38. A. all B. short C. no D. indoor
39. A. planted B. studied C. drew D. toured
40. A. Still B. Then C. Yet D. Next
41. A. wild B. successful C. usual D. particular
42. A. as well B.after a while C. of course D. as a result
43. A. funny B. great C. convenient D. thoughtful
44. A. looking out B. taking out C. finding out D. figuring out
45. A. math B. care C. botany D. notice
46. A. dull B. interesting C. enough D. dangerous
47. A. On the whole B. Once again C. Sooner or later D. After a while
48. A. careful B. better C. busier D. lovely
49. A. problem B. chance C. difference D. change
50. A. reading B. gardening C. teaching D. thinking